Customer Support Specialist
Peregrine Energy Group is a boutique, Boston-based, consulting company that manages community electricity aggregation programs in 32 cities and towns in Massachusetts under the brands Peregrine Energy Group and MassPowerChoice. We help our client communities to design, obtain regulatory approval for, launch, and then manage their programs. Our clients are the municipalities, and the electricity programs that we manage play an important role in helping many communities to move away from fossil fuels and toward renewable sources of electricity. Through an electricity aggregation, a local government can sign a contract with electricity supplier that benefits the whole community. Residents and businesses then receive access to long-term electricity prices, consumer protections, and increasingly, cleaner electricity. Typically, about 70% of the electricity accounts in each community participate.
We seek a Customer Support Specialist to answer customer questions that come in via a very busy phone and via email from all of our client communities, and to work with our business partners to ensure that customer requests are implemented. This position has a significant phone-based component, and this person would be a front-line customer support resource across all of our programs. This position is not located within a large call center. Rather, you would be a critical addition to our small team to help us manage our growing workload.
The ideal candidate is interested in helping the residents and businesses to participate in these programs and to resolve issues around their participation. As part of that, the Customer Support Specialist will need to help callers to understand their electricity bills and also answer questions about renewable energy and related topics. The ideal candidate will be comfortable working within a small company where everybody pitches in, where collaboration and good communication are essential, and where organization and attention to detail are critical.
This new position will include externally and internally facing responsibilities, for example:
- Answering customer support questions from the public over the phone and via email.
- Resolving customer support issues through follow up with customers and communicating with electricity suppliers.
- Following up with electricity suppliers to ensure that customer requests are implemented.
- Tracking customer request and support issue status.
- Additional programmatic tasks.
Competencies, skills, and attributes:
- The ability to handle very busy phones and customer requests while maintaining a pleasant, customer-focused demeanor
- An interest in, or experience with, helping the public to understand electricity bills, renewable energy, and other energy-related topics, and a desire to learn what you don’t know.
- An aptitude for explaining complex topics in simple terms and the patience to repeat that explanation many times.
- Adeptness at solving complex customer problems that involve multiple players.
- Ability to work through detailed issues or disagreements over service delivery while preserving a working business relationship with partner companies.
- Excellent and adaptable writing and speaking communication skills.
- Not easily ruffled and kind when dealing with challenging personalities and problems.
- Patient when things don’t go according to plan.
- Has solid skills with office software, specifically including Excel.
- Highly organized and detail oriented, while able to keep the big picture in mind.
- Comfortable in a small-company environment where everyone wears many hats.
- A fast thinker and learner who is able to collaborate with colleagues when needed and also work independently when needed.
- Not flustered by interruptions or very busy days
Nice to have but not required:
- Spoken and written fluency in Spanish or Brazilian Portuguese.
- This position is based in our Boston office, which is near North Station. The position will begin as an in-office position for at least the first 6 months of the role. However, with time and experience, a hybrid work arrangement can be possible. Being able to work regular Eastern Standard Time (EST) hours is a must.
Compensation & key benefits
- Competitive salary
- 100% employer paid health insurance and long-term disability insurance
- 401K retirement plan with employer match
- 3 weeks of vacation time plus 10 holidays
- A flexible, collaborative team that understands the need for work/life balance.
Please email your credentials to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line Customer Support Specialist.